Friday, July 06, 2007

Spellbound in K-Town

About, oh, two years ago, M announced that she was moving away from the superfantastic city where we both lived to another, smaller, less cool place. I'll admit, I was pretty bummed. Whose fridge was I supposed to raid? From whom would I take DVDs? I'd watched all of mine already!

After M settled in, I hopped on the noblest form of transportation (aka, the bus) to borrow her DVDs, visit, and check out her new home -- known as K-Town. If you think I'm about to start ragging on it, then you'd be right. I immediately made a few choice observations:

1. There are a lot of pregnant teenagers, or teenagers with babies.
2. The bus station is a cool place to hang out, and the security guards make you feel like you're in a nightclub that smells of piss.
3. There are spelling errors everywhere.

And I mean EVERYWHERE. (I actually have a theory that the city is run by guinea pigs, but my proof is scant.) So now whenever I visit, we make a game of seeing who can spot the most spelling mistakes. Winner gets a coffee and a muffin. This is one that earned me a large double double and a blueberry bran.


This sign was posted on most city buses. Seriously.


I was so fucking happy that day.

7 comments:

Kurt said...

Plus this city doesn't appear to have enough money to replace their YEILD stickers.

M said...

Aw, I remember how happy you were that day, H. Fair enough. BUT:
1. There are huge tracts of land!
2. I'm closer to nature; I see wild wabbits on a daily basis and it makes me smile.
3. All of my income isn't going to rent, though most of it is going to alternative modes of transportation.
4. We did find a great, deliciously independent coffee shop.
5. You still borrow stuff. Still.

karla said...

You know good old Arangatang where we grew up? Remember when Main Variety opened (you know where the cheap smokes were) and their sign said "Varity"?

Anonymous said...

Geez H. What've you got against K-Town? K-Dubs is a fast-growing, kewl place to live. Here's my response to your observations:

1. Those aren't pregnant teenagers. They're in their 30s. People just look younger in K-Town.
2. The bus station has high security and smells like piss because homeless people walk in and piss all over it.
3. What's wrong with that spelling of Yeild? Everyone's a critic.

You're treading on thin ice H. I'd watch yourself. If the giny pigs find out you're on to them, you'll be in truble!

Dr X

P.S. Nice work defending K-Town M!

Anonymous said...

I'm always surprised when things are spelled properly on buses.

Anonymous said...

I never take the bus... and that piss comment makes me realize I am doing the right thing...

donjmurray said...

Riding the busssss is for dorks.