Sunday, December 16, 2007

When Not To Say Fuck

It's a mixed bag, being the oldest child. You're the responsible one, unfairly blamed for bickering and your sister's foul mouth, forced to grow up first and give up your footie jammies when you aren't quite ready while your sisters stay small and portable. But a good thing is the trust and hero worship from your younger siblings. Things go wrong when they don't listen to you. You're an authority with a certain amount of power when you're away from adults. A better thing is finding out you've made an amusing impact on a sibling. I wish I could remember why I thought that. And what did I think asshole meant?

Postscript: I remember, when the lazy, playful but instructive days of summer winded down, and school began again, H and I went for a walk with our mom, as we often did on weekends. We had no destination in mind, but it was a warm autumnal day, and the leaves were colourful and crisp. We noticed a "For Sale" sign that had been defaced by graffiti. Our precocious H decided to read the most prominent word, her mouth hesitantly forming the necessary sounds to happily tell our mother that the sign said "fuck". That, my friends, marked the first time one of us had said a bad word in front of a parent. Had we been children only a decade ago, H would have had her mouth washed out with soap. Mom looked H, then to me (I looked back with my innocent eyes (since H was clearly corrupted)), then back to H. Mom agreed that yes, that's what the sign said, but that word should never be used. Nice girls did not say such things.


H did not heed my warning, and what was worse, it was in front of a parent. Somehow, it was my fault (true). Her gaffe won me a lecture from mom, about how there are better, more acceptable ways to talk. That lesson didn't stick for either of us.

* * * * *
Chedwick requested pictures of snow. Here's the view in my backyard; I found it too cold to actually go outside, so I lifted the screen in my bedroom. Yes, those are my fingers. And those little twigs sticking up? My 3' lilac tree. I'm sure it will be fine.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

i cursed in front of my grandparents when I was a kid, after my big brother told me to. i think they thought it was funny.

Anonymous said...

All those things you said about being an older sibling are true M. Especially the part about being blamed for youbgrr siblings' actions. Still, you two should have heeded your mom's lesson!

Dr X

Kurt said...

Great yard. We've only gotten a little snow here. I could use more.

Bob Dylan said...

That is a lot of snow--You are so lucky!

Bobby D. said...

I only have one younger sister--my other sisters are older and taught me a lot.
Oldest sister - The wise one with wicked sense of humor. Flirty.

Second sister- A total Martha Stewart. Her life is perfect. Drives a BMW, and when she wears linen, it doesn't dare wrinkle.

Me: the nerdy one. no drama. has been called boring.

Younger sister- Free Spirit- Calls herself "Queen of the rehabs" --has gone through an amazing number of addictions/dramas/hair raising situations. If she shows up on your doorstep at 3am--be afraid.

H said...

Cannot defend myself due to lack of decent wireless. Am so isolated... Must find connection.

Bobby D. said...

I feel bad for H -- get connected soon!

M said...

Is it wrong that I don't? ;)

Anonymous said...

will there be a Christmas post?

Bob Dylan said...

where ARE you people?

Bobby D. said...

gee hope you are not the victims of avalanche.

It is JANUARY!

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across this website and was disappointed to discover that it wasn't a fan site for Twisted Sister. (Your blog's title is extremely misleading.) Not only that, but apparently one of you is a KISS fan! Well, I'm not going to take it anymore!

Anonymous said...

don't say fuck when you are playing the piano and hit the wrong keys... I did that once... only once....

Diane Dehler said...

Chedwick needs little snowshoes so he can go out walking in the snow under moon.