Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Oh, Sister, Where Art Thou?

In certain Canadian provinces, February brings something called "Family Day." No, it's not as lame as it sounds. For suckers with jobs, it's a day off work, ostensibly to be with your family even though most spend it with their beloved PlayStations. For those who don't work, it's just another day.

This upcoming Family Day M is coming to visit me. She even got me to book her ticket in a brilliant tax-evasion scheme for which I have not yet been reimbursed.

You see, my new apartment is rather lacking in, well, everything, which includes furniture and multiple spoons. And although I'm now used to my lonely air mattress and no longer think that this place looks like a hovel where you'd go to screw for 10 bucks, M thinks it needs a more lived-in appeal. Maybe M-as-in-Martha-Stewart is right.

At first I said, "Hell, I've got Internet access, a few bowls, and a air mattress with a sophisticated built-in pump. What more could I need?"

M said, "Do you have a chair?"

H: "No."

M: "More than one fork?"

H: "No."

M: "Have you taken a vow? Joined a cult? Or otherwise gone bankrupt and you're just too ashamed to tell me?"

H: "Not yet."

M: "Then I think I can help you."

H: "Fine. But no accent walls."


How much would you pay to use this space by the hour? (Cat not included.)

11 comments:

M said...

Oh, you're getting an accent wall.

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with that place? It has everything you need. I'd pay $12 an hour!

Bobby D. said...

If the cat isn't included, why should I bother?

Anonymous said...

As long as you have a portable hairdryer you'll be fine.

hex said...

Wow, not even a futon? M I think your help is sorely needed.

I am envious of all the comments this blog receives :) My readers (or maybe I am just fooling myself) are not nearly as chatty.

Kurt said...

Those $3,000 Sleep Number beds are just air mattresses with a little padding on them. I tried one at the airport.

dennis said...

Dennis wants to ask H. if that is a catnip mouse on the floor.

Bob Dylan said...

You must be on the road a lot if this is your crash pad.

Coffee Messiah said...

Now that's living without going overboard! ; )

BTW, Thanks for popping by. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

it depends.. if I could be there with a certain person..I'd pay anything...

Anonymous said...

It depends. Can I mount that mirror on the ceiling?