Monday, February 11, 2008

Mr. GoodTime

Our next stop in the happy tour that is M's Ex-Boyfriends: A Retrospective, might well be familiar to some of you. You might have even dated him, or at least some hybrid form. Ladies and gents, I present Mr. GoodTime.

M and Mr. GoodTime were together on and off for a few years. You know, because sometimes his search for a good time took him elsewhere, and periodically M felt that, indeed, one can have too much of a good time.

Unlike Beefcake! (see previous post), Mr. GoodTime wasn't all bad. He was pretty fun, and although he was somewhat of a manchild, that can be endearing for a few minutes at least. Here are a few fun facts about Mr. GoodTime, as I remember him:

- He always had tickets to see The Tragically Hip, and contemplated following them around, Grateful Dead style.
- His jeans were that too-pale blue circa 1994, with frayed cuffs.
- He would "drive" two hours to pick up M in his souped-up Ski Doo, but his actual car was a piece of shit.
- He usually wore the free T-shirts that come inside of cases of beer. 'Cause hey, free shirt.
- He was always up for a weekend 'shroom adventure.
- His idea of culture was collecting the caps from international (i.e., American) beers that he'd tried.
- He lived with his parents, in the basement, and wasn't about to leave until some woman made an honest man of him.

Luckily, M refused on that last one.

This is some random guy I met once at a beer festival (shut up, M), and although he isn't Mr. GoodTime, he reminds me of him a lot.


Note that this type, when not wearing a beer shirt, is often sans shirt.

I was a little sad to see Mr. GoodTime go. I was underage at the time, and he was most useful.

17 comments:

M said...

Aw, Mr. GoodTime! Fond memories. The family liked him too. That dude in the picture really looks a lot like him.

Classy press-on tat, H.

Kurt said...

That is ME all the way.

Bobby D. said...

That is SO not Kurt. Kurt is courteous, or Kurteous.

I'm beginning to form a vague picture of...


partay girls....

Anonymous said...

Can he still get us Hip tickets?

Bobby D. said...

I am not as good as weird al at song parodies, but here goes:

Mr GoodTime
Who do you think you are?
Mr GoodTime
You never could keep M's love
Now because you wear beer T shirts (oh yeah)
And have your own Speed-doo, oh yes you do...
Do you think M could afford to give you her love?
You think you're "funner" than a barrel of monkeys
Mr GoodTime
Who do you think you are?
Mr GoodTime
You're never gonna get M's love
I know all those American beers you've drunk
Proudly saving every bottle cap too
Beer, Shrooms & Toys, you'll never be satisfied
Mr GoodTime , tell me, tell me
Who do you think you are?
She's gonna give her love to a real grown up man
Not sit around babysitting you
'Cause when she gives love, she'll get mature love
in return, and this is one lesson you'll never learn
Mr. GoodTime,
Who do you think you are
Tragically Hip in your Mama's basement
You're never gonna get M's love...
-----
Here is a fab youtube vid of the original song-- it is way more entertaining than my parody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21QsH5gWoZ0&feature=related

Bobby D. said...

oops I wrote speed-doo instead of ski-doo, please correct that when singing. If you can make a video as good as that amateur youtube one, I'd like to see it.

Catlin said...

Hahahaha! I think everyone knows a Mr. GoodTime of some sort. They're fun! But they'll never grow up.

Do you know where he is now?

H said...

Kurt, put your shirt back on!

Ha ha ha ha. Oh, Chedwick. That made me laugh my ass off!!

And Catlin, we think we have an idea of where he is now, and that is exactly where M left him.

Squirrel said...

It is finally snowing in Mytown, usa. I am sipping some fine European drinking chocolate and my nest is cozy & warm.

I hoping to get some snow like you guys get!

Anonymous said...

My worst ex.... oh where to begin. Probably the one who I trusted with my ATM code while I was hospitalized for a little over two weeks. It took him the full two weeks to empty my checking & savings account due to the $500 a day maximum withdrawal policy. I had asked him to take $50. out to buy me a robe.
He brought me fowers and the cheapest robe I have ever seen while I was sick, and I thought aww... how sweet--I was really too sick to think "This robe looks like it came from the dollar store!"

He had the nerve to stick around after my meltdown saying he had only "borrowed" the money to buy the electric guitar and amplifier. It was one of those EXpensive lessons. (I never saw a penny of the $.)

dennis said...

Dennis is a Mr. DennisTime

Alana said...

That is one hilarious youtube vid!!

H said...

Thanks for sharing, PHD. I have a similar story, but it's not nearly as horrifying as yours! What were we thinking, eh?

Anonymous said...

What is a guy supposed to do when He's broke and desperately needs a guitar and Amp????

hex said...

I can hardly wait for part three! Who will it be . . .

Fred said...

We have a few Mr. Goodtime types on campus--but hey Not EVERYONE can be an honor student--otherwise there would be no prestige in being one.

Congrats to our grad students, M. de Canada and H. de Canada for making the Honor Roll this term

dennis said...

Dennis is totally trustworthy. Dennis wants everyone to e mail him their banking codes.